1.28.2008

Two Days into things...

Things are colder here than I thought. I knew that it was going to be in the 40-50's range, but I did not think that the buildings mostly do not have indoor heat. So it is almost as cold inside as out. I find that I am drinking lots of hot tea and coffee to keep warm. Being that I have been living in a rural community for the past 2 years, the big city wow's me every time I walk out of the compound. The buildings are so tall, they are so close and people every where. The store signs are a mixture of Chinese characters, Portuguese, and English languages. The architecture is a combination of old European and new Asian styles. The streets are beginning to be decorated for the Chinese New Year. It is the Year of the Rat.

Yesterday I went to a church call Oasis. It is an international church with members from over 10 countries. This is alot since there were only about 30-40 people there. Today I woke up early and could not fall back to sleep. So finally I stopped trying to sleep and got up around 6:30 AM. I got around and hit the streets to explore the city. Every thing was closed for the most part. I am finding that the city is "late to bed, late to rise". I took some pictures, but have not loaded them onto my computer yet, I will post them in my next blog.

By the way, my luggage did make it!!! The only problem was with my cream of wheat. I brought it for hot, cheap breakfasts. Note to self ,put the box of cream of wheat in a zip lock bag when traveling. Only about 1/3 to 1/2 a cup spilled out into the suit case, but it was enough to make a minor mess.

Thanks again for all the comments, it is great to keep in touch with so many all at one time.

2 comments:

givepraise said...

It is good to hear from you. Take lots of pix in the beginning becasue all too quickly it will become common place and you will forget about taking the pix.
We celbrated Mom's birthday yesterday. Dave, Aimee, John, & Grace and Grandma & Grandpa Jones were here. I ccoked and cleaned up afterwards and Mom seemed to like that!
Small group met here last night and we had you as well as Kim and the girls in our prayers!
We enjoy hearing about your experiences, keep them coming! Dad

Anonymous said...

Enjoying the pics and reading about your adventures. Good luck getting some more sleep!