2.15.2008

My First Hot Pot and So Far So Good

So last night a number of the single people in the clinic went out to dinner for "hot pot" in celebration of Valentine's Day. Myself and Dr. Kwan were invited along since our wives were not here with us. In case you are like me and have never experienced Hot Pot, it is when you order meats and vegetables from the menu, they come to your table raw and you cook them yourself in a boiling pot of soup in front you. The key is to make sure the meats are completely cooked as to not get diarrhea from ecoli infection. I had a great time. Unfortunately, my camera ran out of battery early in the evening, so some of the most interesting foods I ate I did not get pictures of, but these will give you the idea. I had beef, lamb, pork cut thinly as seen on the plates below. I had fish, shrimp, and lamb make into balls. I had cow stomach. I had many types of vegetables of which there is not an equivalent found in the U.S. The great thing is that it has been over 12 hours since ingesting the food and no diarrhea or stomach cramps yet!!

This was the name of the restaurant. It is a restaurant chain.


This the different types of meat, pork, beef, and lamb

The elements of fish balls, what you do is take a clump of the fish meat and plop it into the boiling soup in front of you.



You can some what see the pots in the picture, but the meat goes in your own personal Hot Pot. The Key is to make sure it is fully cooked before you eat it.Yes this is Cow Stomach. It does not have much taste, just very rubbery.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when you talked with me I didn't realize you cooked your own food!!! I just thought you dipped things...I am glad you haven't gotten sick (slightly surprised, you must be a good hot potter)--YOU ARE SO ADVENTUROUS!

Anonymous said...

I like the last picture...you must have added it after I left the first comment...cow stomach...well you can mark that off your list...if you had a list:)