2.04.2008

Winter Storms in China

Some of you have been asking about the big snows that have been going on in China. I am far enough south that I have not seen snow. Thanks goodness, because it is has been cold enough for me as it is. The bad thing for the mainland Chinese people is that this is at the beginning of their new year travel. I have heard reports that somewhere between 200,000 - 600,000 people were stranded at one train station trying to get home to their families. Most of the factory workers migrate from many miles away. The New Year holiday is the only time they get off all year. So imagine being stuck in a city many hundred of miles away from your family during a holiday time that is as big as our Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years combined. Not so fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I imagine it would be one of the worst feelings in the world...:(