2.18.2008

Teaching Moment

One of the medical opportunities that I did not expected to have here is precepting other resident physicians. For those of you not in the medical field, a preceptor is a more senior doctor that serves as a teacher/adviser to the younger resident physicians. usually the residents will see the patient in the room, then present the patient's history and physical exam findings to the preceptor. This gives the resident physician an opportunity to ask questions and learn about possible treatment options and possible diagnoses. This is true in the United States as well as here.

Now with that background. Last week I was precepting with one of the 1st year residents. She wanted me to come look at her patient's throat. Earlier in the week another resident had diagnosed her with strep throat. She did not get better, so she returned to the clinic. I looked at the back of the throat and saw what looked like oral thrush. (yeast infection in the mouth) I was able to discuss with the resident about potential causes of oral thrush in an adult. She obtained further history and found out that the patient had been taking an inhaled steroid for her asthma. If you do not rinse your mouth out after using an inhaled steroid a person can get oral thrush. Some of the younger residents did not know this and I was able to show them the thrush and discuss the appropriate treatment. It energizes me to see others be so excited about learning, especially when I am the one teaching.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought you would enjoy this...
today in the resident's room one of the medical students noticed the "quote board". She was saying how funny they were. Then she mentioned the fact that "Dr. Humphrey sure has a lot of quotes". Rob and I just laughed! Well, we do miss that we haven't been able to add to the quote board recently. See you in March!

Anonymous said...

COOL Mark!!! That's really neat. I am sure they appreciate what you are teaching them, too. I know I enjoy it whenever I am able to learn from you - as one who loves to learn, I appreciate those who are eager to share knowledge. So, thank you for that. - Danielle